One of the best ways to make yourself visible in Google is to register yourself as a local business.
It's free and easy to set up.
There are 2 key places this helps.
- If someone searches your name, your Google business listing will come up on the side of the search results, like this:
This provides your business with a professional online search presence at no cost. It also sends a powerful message when a potential client searches your name. Especially if they are interviewing 2 or 3 agents and you are the only one with a full profile on the side of the page.
2. If someone searches for a real estate agent in your area, your name might come up in the mapped search results, like this:
The top 3 results show by default and that is where you want to be.
So how do you get there?
- Set up your Google Business listing*
- Add a detailed description of your service in your Google Business listing, including which areas you service and how you help your clients (think search keywords).
- Ask your past and current clients for reviews. It is our understanding that the more reviews you have, the more likely you are to show up in the first three results. Once you have a Google Business listing you can share a 'review link' with your customers, like this one:
By the way, it would be a huge help if you could review us via the link above!
*Please note: Once you setup your free profile, you will need to verify your account. This means waiting a week or two for Google to send you a postcard in the mail to verify your address. So it's imperative that you get this process started asap.
Reviews are like gold
I can't stress how important it is to ask your clients for Google reviews. Please don't skip this step.
If you are feeling nervous about asking, I suggest you stop right now and make a list of 5 people that you know will give you a 5-star review: Your manager, your spouse, your favourite builder, your accountant, your favourite Agent Monday coach (that's me!) and anyone else you can think of.
Start by asking just that group. Once your confidence is up, you can cast the net wider and ask the last 10 sellers and buyers you worked for.
Now that you have your listing set up. Make sure you update your Google Business listing regularly with posts: Use Agent Monday articles, community events and your new listings.
Note: This is a great way to use 'surplus' Agent Monday articles if you don't email your database every week. Here is a link to all our past articles:
By the way: As you can see in the picture above, there is a real opportunity for someone to take over the Takapuna, Auckland search results as two of the top three suggested by Google have no reviews at all!
What are the search results like in your area?
If you have 5 minutes to spare, read these two articles for tips on optimising your Google listing.
Before you go...
Have you taken action yet?
Setting up your Google Business profile (or asking for reviews if you already have a profile) is one of those critical tasks that aren't urgent, but it doesn't take long and it will help move your business forward.
It's a 20 - 30 minute job that could pay massive dividends.
If you haven't already done so, please go and set it up right now, or at the very least, set a deadline to complete these two tasks before Friday 5pm:
- Setup your google business profile
- Share your review link with at least 5 people
That's it! Job done.
Note: Make sure you share your review link with us too! We would be stoked to be one of the five you pick.
Feature Article reminder
In case you missed it, this week's feature article is on 'How to keep your home safe when leaving town'.
Ready to grow your business?Subscribe now
Already have an account? Sign in